Saturday, April 11, 2015

Grilled Ahi Tuna, Cilantro Lime Rice, and Rainbow Chard

 I know it's been a while since I have posted, but being 2 months out of brain surgery, and can't concentrate all that great.

It was my turn to cook, so I chose to make the ahi tuna. We bought it at Grocery Outlet for $2.50 each.

 For the fish, you first make a rub for it. Take 1 tbs. olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/4 tsp. dried oregano, 1/4 tsp. basil, 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. salt, place it in a small bowl and whisk it together with a fork, let it sit for 5 minutes, so the flavors can marry. Next, dry your tuna, then place in a shallow dish. Brush the rub on both sides of the tuna, and let sit for another 5 minutes. The recipe said to grill on an outside grill, but I used a cast iron skillet with the raised grill marks on it. I got it very hard, used a tbs. olive oil on the pan, then cooked the tuna about 3 minutes per side.

For the rice, I heated 1 tbs. olive oil in a deep skillet, added 1/2 of a medium onion. Let that cook for 3 minutes, then I added 1 cup brown rice, and cooked for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, so it doesn't burn. Next, I added the zest of 2 limes, and the juice from 2 limes, 2 cups chicken stock, brought it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes. When there was a little liquid left I added 1 mini red and orange sweet pepper, diced, for color. Right before serving add a few tbs. of chopped cilantro.

Lastly I just took a bag of frozen rainbow chard, placed in in a microwave bowl, added 2 tbs. water, covered and cooked for 8 to 9 minutes.
Unfortunately, I cooked the tuna just a little over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment