Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Creamy & Spinach Pasta

I had some spinach that needed used before it went bad, so I went on a search to find something that sound good and easy. I found this recipe and thought I'd try it. Of course we made some changes to it. I looked around the house to see if we had everything for it, we had almost everything except an onion and diced canned tomatoes.

When Jake came home from his favorite hangout, HOBS, (coffee shop) we headed to the store. I picked up the onion and the tomatoes, I thought that was it but Jake added something to my list, a bottle of red wine. He had asked what they wanted us to deglaze the pan with, I told him it called for water. He thought it would be better with red wine. When we got home he went to open the bottle of wine and it didn't want to cooperate with him. First the wrapper didn't want to come off, next he discovered the "wine opener thingy" wasn't in the drawer. He tried different things to get the cork out, it was hilarious! After letting him struggle for a while I finally said, "Should we go to your aunt's house to get the cork screw?"  He agreed and out we went again. It took him only a few seconds to get the cork out after we got home. Anyway back to the recipe.

Jake chopped  a medium onion and thinly sliced 4 large garlic cloves. I got the water started for the pasta (use your favorite). I heated 2 tbs of olive oil in a large deep skillet, then added the onions and garlic (I also added 1/2 of an orange bell pepper, not called for). We let that cook until the onion and pepper were tender. Next I added the can of diced tomatoes (15 oz can), 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, salt, pepper, and a healthy pinch of ref pepper flakes. Stir to combine, Next add 2 tbs of tomato paste, and here is where we switched the 1/2 cup water for the red wine. Cook until the tomato paste has dissolved. Turn the heat to low and add 2 oz of cream cheese. Use a whisk until the cream cheese has melted and sauce is creamy. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, stir until that is fully melted. Next add the fresh spinach (9 oz bag), gentle stir until the spinach has wilted (3-5 minutes). Add the pasta stir until well coated. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment