Thursday, January 2, 2014

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

I thought I would try this new recipe I found on Facebook. It looked good and and it was easy.following is . I did make 2 changes, I made my own taco seasoning because I never buy store taco seasoning. I combined 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp. Mexican oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp cayenne.  I used store bought medium salsa, and used 1 whole medium onion. Well it turned out dry and bland. I should have went with my instincts and added a jalapeno, and garlic. Of course some really good hot sauce would been good too. We made this into tacos. We topped them with shredded cheese, green onions, and bacon. The following is the recipe I followed. I try to follow the recipe the first time then change it if I make again. It was suppose to look like this but I have no clue what they did to get it to look like this.

 Ingredients
2 lbs. (32 oz.) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 cup salsa, homemade or purchased
1 cup petite diced canned tomatoes (choose low-sodium)
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
1 cup onions, diced fine
1/2 cup celery diced fine
1/2 cup carrots, shredded (you can leave these out if you are concerned about the carbs)
3 tbsp. sour cream, reduced fat (can use regular sour cream if you like)
Directions
Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the meat then layer the vegetables and salsa on top. Pour a half cup water over the mixture, set on low and cook for 6-8 hours. The meat is cooked when it shreds or reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. When ready to serve, break up the chicken with two forks then stir in the sour cream.
Makes eight 1 cup servings.
Nutrition Info: Calories: 164.9; Fat: 2.5g; Carbohydrates: 7.3g; Protein: 27.6g
By: Quick and Easy Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment