Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Chicken Strips, Couscous, and Spinach

 Tonight was my night to cook. Of course I wanted something really fast and easy, I went with chicken strips.

  For the chicken strips, I used skinless boneless ones. I dipped them in an egg wash (2 eggs and a splash of milk (lactose free 2%), then rolled them in some panko bread crumbs, seasoned with lemon pepper, salt, pepper, cayenne, thyme, basil, and oregano. I then placed them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I baked them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

  To go with them I made couscous. For it, I sauteed 1/2 of a small red onion, 1/2 of a red bell pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 of shredded carrot, in some olive oil. I then put the sauteed veggies in a small pot with 2 cups of chicken broth. Let that come to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes (this lets the flavors combine together). Then add 1 box of couscous, cover, and remove from from heat, let set for about 7 minutes.

  For the veggie tonight I wanted creamed spinach, but it's filled with a ton of calories, so I thought I would try to make it healthier. I took 1/2 bag of fresh spinach and roughly chopped it, set aside. In a deep skillet I melted 2 tbs butter (margarine) with 2 tbs olive oil, then added 1/2 chopped red onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1/4 chopped red bell pepper, saute until onion and pepper are tender. Next, I added the spinach and stirred until the spinach shrinks. Lastly, add seasoning, salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg (1/4 tsp), the zest of a lemon, the juice of a lemon, and 1 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 cup 2% lactose free milk, and 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese. Simmer until sauce decreases by 1/2.


No comments:

Post a Comment