Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hamburger Soup and Homemade Bread

 I have been lazy and not posting lately, but haven't been feeling great. Last night Jake made a fish chowmein.

 Tonight was a joint cooking night. Jake made the bread and I made the soup. I saw this recipe on Pioneer Woman on Food Network yesterday, but of course I changed it up. I didn't feel like going to the store today, so I used what was in the house.

 For the soup I chopped 1 medium size onion and 4 large cloves of garlic. In a large pot cook the hamburger (she started with 2lbs, but I used 1, and mine was lean) along with the onion and garlic. After this is all browned, drain any grease. It then called for 2 tbs. of tomato paste, which I didn't have (I guess I need to restock my pantry), so I made a roax to help thicken the sauce, I added 2 tbs flour to the grease, cooked out the flour for about a minute, next I added 4 cups of beef stock, 1 small can of tomato sauce, 1 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes (she used whole tomatoes and then squished them up), then I added 4 potatoes that I cubed, 10 to 12 mini carrots cubed (she added 2 large carrots cut on a diagonal), 6 mini sweet orange peppers (she used 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 green bell pepper chopped). Next, I added 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 1/2 tsp basil, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. I let it come to a boil, turned it down to medium covered it, and let it cook until the potatoes were soft, about 30 minutes.

 For the bread, Jake did a country loaf. Mix 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 package yeast in a large bowl. Add 2 cups very warm water. Beat with wire whisk, or elcetric mixer for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.Cover tightly with plastic wrap for 1 hour. Add 2 tbs oil, and 2 tsp salt. Stir in enough flour until soft and smooth. Next knead the bread for about 8 minutes, or until the dough is springy. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and set aside for 1 hour. Place the dough on a greased cookie sheet, shape. then cover with plastic wrap for 45 to 50 minutes. Place in a 425 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes, place an 8x8 pan on the lower oven rack filled with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment