Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

 My day again. I decided on these pulled pork sandwiches. I have made them before. It's a recipe I got out of the Rachael Ray cookbook, but this time I didn't follow the recipe...I know what's new. It's hot here in Northern California, so I didn't want the oven on all day. 

 I seared a small pork roast, then placed in the slow cooker on high. Next, I roasted 2 red bell peppers, and 2 large jalapenos. When they were nice and charred and blistered, I placed them in a larger bowl covered tight with foil. When it is cool, take paper towels or gloves, and peel the skin off., the slice them in half and remove the seeds. If you like spicy leave in the seeds of the jalapeno, I did on one of them. I also. roasted a whole large head of garlic. For that, take the head of garlic and remove all the loose peel, next cut off the top of the head, exposing all the cloves of garlic, place it in foil with salt, pepper, and olive oil, wrap it tight, place on a cookie sheet, and put it in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle clove shows it's soft. I took 1 large white onion, sliced it, then seared it in a little bit of butter.

 In a blender, place 1/4 cup olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tsp of dried rosemary, 2 tsp dried thyme, 1 handful of flat leaf parsley, squeeze all the garlic gloves out of the head, 1 of the red bell peppers, and the jalapeno with the seeds. Blend it until it's a thick paste (like a pesto). 

 Later, I took the roast out of the slow cooker (after it was done), placed it in the dutch oven, I poured the sauce I blended over the pork, added some of the drippings from the slower cooker in the pan around the pork, then poured 1- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes over the sauce, place the lid on the dutch oven, and placed it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

 After I took the pork out of the oven, I set it aside to let it rest. Meanwhile, I placed 2 split sandwich rolls on a cookie sheet, with provolone cheese on them, placed them in the oven until the cheese was melted. After that I shredded the pork, and placed it back in with the sauce. To serve, place the pork on the roll, put some of the red bell peppers, jalapenos, sauteed onions, and fresh spinach on top of them. It was a huge sandwich that I didn't finish. I didn't make anything to go with it.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment