Monday, August 12, 2013

Steak, Baked Potatoes, and Veg

This afternoon I told Jake lets go to the store and see what we want for dinner. I hadn't laid anything out but knew I had to fix something. We went in and the first place I went was to the meat section, I think it's the best place to start, then you can build on that. I went to the reduced for quick sale. A lot of people tend to shy away from this section because they feel the meat isn't any good over there. As a single parent I tend to go there because I can't afford much other than that, and we get tired of eating chicken. Today they had a lot of steaks that looked really good. I decided on some top sirloin, 2 great size ones for $8.50.

I took the steaks, dried them, and then rubbed them with a sweet grill mates rub. Next I seared them on all sides(about 8 minutes on both sides) in a cast iron skillet that has the grill shape at the bottom.
I then placed them in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. I took it out and let it rest.
Meanwhile I put 2 potatoes in the microwave for about 8 minutes (poke holes in them first). Then I threw a bag of steam-able veggies in the microwave for 6 minutes. I also sauteed 1 red onion, chopped mushrooms, and 3 cloves thinly sliced garlic, then added 1 bottle of Heinz chicken and ribs sauce.
This was so good, even though I didn't touch the potato. I ate the veggies and steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment