Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Crepes with Berry Sauce

 Tonight was a collaboration between Jake and I. We knew we wanted breakfast for dinner but wasn't sure of what we wanted. I mentioned crepes and Jake said ok, I'll help.  Mind you I have never made them before but Jake had at school. Besides, why wouldn't a teenage boy, who makes souffles, make crepes. Off to the store we went to pick up a bag of frozen mixed berries, fresh was to expensive, a lemon, and of course whipped cream.

  I started by pouring 1/2 bag of berries into a small sauce pan, along with 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and the zest of a small lemon. I let it come to a boil, and cooked it for about 5 minutes, then I took the potato masher and smooshed  them up, I then turned the heat down to low and let it reduced by 1/2, then I turned it off. Meanwhile, I took 1- 8 oz package of cream cheese, and mixed 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam into it and set aside.

 For the crepes Jake made the batter by, whisking together 1 cup flour and 2 large eggs. Gradually add in 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water, stirring to combine. Add in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Beat until smooth, you don't want any lumps at all. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan (we used the frying pan), over medium high heat. Pour the batter into the pan (using approx. 1/4 cup per crepe) Tilt the pan in a circular motion so the batter coats the pan evenly. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is lightly brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.

 To serve, we placed 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the middle and gently rolled them up. On top I poured the homemade berry sauce (syrup) over the crepe, place 1 tablespoon of whipped cream on top, then a few of the leftover berries on top of that, then I added a little bit of parsley for color ( some fresh mint would have been great, but our store didn't have any).


No comments:

Post a Comment