Monday, February 3, 2014

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

 Tonight's dinner started out in the grocery store yesterday. My sister had told me that a little store about 8 miles from us had some really good prices for meat, so since I was home alone and bored I thought I would check it out. I was walking by the meat department and spotted the clams, they were not fresh one but frozen, but what the heck I thought I would give them a try. Oh, and I did find some small packages of steak at a good price and the perfect size for Jake and I. Next, I thought, what am I going to do with the clams. I saw the wines and thought about some kind of white wine sauce, there you go linguine with clams.

 This is what I did. First rinse and drain your clams, about 5 dozen, next heat a large deep skillet with about 1/4 cup EVOO, add 4 large cloves of garlic, cook the garlic until it is golden brown, then remove it from the pan. Place 3 1/2 dozen clams into the pan with 1 cup white wine, and 1/2 cup water (I think next time I would use chicken or veggie stock instead of water). Bring it to a boil then cover, cook about 10 minutes and clams are open. Side note, remember if clams don't open they are not good. When clams are open remove them from the pan, reduce the liquid, and pour into a glass bowl, set aside you will use it later. When the clams are cooled remove them from the shells and set aside.

 Start a pot of salted water for your pasta, Meanwhile, put more olive oil into the pan (about the same amount), add another 4 large cloves of garlic, and a large pinch of red pepper flakes, cook until garlic is golden brown, then remove, add the rest of the clams, and the reserved liquid. Bring to a boil and cook until the clams open. Remove the clams and keep warm. Add 2 tbs. of butter to the pan, the clams that were removed from the shells, the pasta, 2 tsp. of chopped oregano, 2 tsp. chopped flat leaf parsley, and I added some chopped fresh spinach( it didn't call for it but I did it anyway). Toss well, finish it with a drizzle of olive oil.

Top with grated Parmesan, the clams that are still in the shells, and chopped parsley.

I love that Jake and I can cook together like this. It has increased the foods he will eat. When we started this I couldn't get him to eat any veggies at all or fruits. Now he will eat spinach, cooked or not, onions, peppers, fruit desserts. I think cooking with your kids no matter the age is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment