Saturday, April 12, 2014

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

 Today Jake was busy with his friends so for dinner I was on my own. I made a wrap with some provolone, turkey lunch meat, and some broccoli slaw I made.

 Since today is my cheat day, I have decided to do that once a week, and it's working. I was thinking out loud saying carrot cake sounded good. Jake said that would be great! So we decided to make one that was safe for him to eat. I got him started grating carrots, while I started mixing the cake and making the frosting. So, here it the recipe I sort of followed.

 Preheat the oven to 350 degree, I also lined my cupcake pans. Next, in a large bowl mix together 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cups vegetable oil (I used canola), 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used a lactose free milk). Stir in 2 cups carrots, 1 cups coconut, 1 15 oz can crushed pineapple, drained. It said  to mix the next ingredients in a separate bowl, but I didn't. Mix in 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp salt. Mix it all together, then pour into cupcake pans and bake until a tooth pic inserted comes out clean.

 For the frosting, in a mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup butter, 1 8 oz package cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 4 cups confectioners sugar. Blend until creamy.


The one thing I found strange about this recipe is that it didn't call for any baking powder. That is why they didn't rise. If I did this again I would use probably 3 tsp baking powder. It also called for nuts but of course I couldn't add those because Jake is allergic to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment