Monday, April 21, 2014

Spicy Soba/Whole Wheat Pasta

 With all the company this weekend, Jake and I didn't do a whole lot of cooking. We also forgot whose turn it was to cook, so I just did it. I have done this recipe a few times because we really like it. Here it goes.

 To prep cut a 1 1/2 pound steak thinly, the recipe called for a petite filet or flat iron steak, but that's not in my budget so I used a discounted round steak and it wasn't 1 1/2 pounds. Chop 4 cloves of garlic, 2 bunches scallions/green onions/spring onions, 1 cup daikon( a Japanese radish) into match stick size, and grate 1-1 inch piece fresh ginger. You will also need 12 oz package of soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti( I used the whole wheat pasta, 3 tbls oil (I used olive), 1 tbls. ancho chili powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1-2 tbls Harissa or chili paste ( I couldn't find either so I used 2 tbls chili sauce I found in the oriental section), 1 tbl. worestershire sauce, 2 tbls. Tamari aka dark soy sauce (I couldn't find this either so I used reg soy sauce), 1 1/2 cups beef stock, and it called for 1 tbls sesame oil and 3 tbls sesame seeds, but Jake's allergic so I used olive oil and omited the seeds. I forgot the 1 cup chopped cilantro.

 Firts, get your pot boiling with water for the pasta. To make it, I sprinkled the sliced beef with the ancho chili powder, then cooked in a deep skillet with 1 tbls olive oil, cook until browned. When done remove from pan and place on a plate. Next, add 2 tbls olive oil to the skillet add, the ginger, garlic, scallions, daikon, I aslo added 1 carrot I cut into match stick size too for color. Cook that until they are a tender crisp, when done, sprinkle with the sugar, add the stock, chili paste, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and this is where you would add the sesame oil if using it. When the pasta is done cooking add it to the sauce mixture. Toss with the beef, sesame seeds(if using), and the cilantro.


This is a very spicy dish and you can change that by not using the chili paste. Chicken would work good in this too!

No comments:

Post a Comment