Monday, October 6, 2014

Chicken Burgers

 I was asked by Jake last night not to post his dinner, so I didn't. He made some tenderized pork steaks (like cubed steak), baked potatoes, and stemed veggies for me.

 Tonight was my turn. We love this Sheppard's Pie knife and fork burgers that Rachael Ray makes. Tonight I thought I would put a spin on them, and make then a little bit healthier.

 For prep, I diced a 1/2 of yellow onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 3 sweet mini peppers, and grated 3 mini carrots. I also peeled 4 small potatoes, for mashed potatoes. I also cubed up 6 chicken breast, tender strips.

 In the blender I added the chicken and olive oil. I pulsed it until the chicken was minced, then I added the, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, carrots, fresh rosemary, dried thyme, salt, and red chili flakes. I pulsed it until it was well mixed. This would be so much easier in a food processor.

 I started my potatoes boiling. Then I added bread crumbs into the chicken mixture, made patties. In a deep skillet with 2 tbs. olive oil I seared/fried the chicken patties.

 I had heated the oven to 450 degrees. On a cookie sheet I split a bolio roll in 1/2, then I placed the rolls on it, spread some butter on top of that, placed in the oven and cooked until they were done.

 When the potatoes were soft, I placed them in a bowl, added margarine, and a small amount of non dairy sour cream. I mixed it well together until smooth.

 Next, take the cooked rolls, place a chicken patty on top of that, then top with mashed potatoes, and some cheese. Place it back in the oven until the cheese is nice and melty.

 Meanwhile, I heated 2 tbs margarine in a small sauce pan, added 2 tbs whole wheat flour, let that cook for about a minute, next added 3/4 can of chicken stock, whisk so there are no lumps. Then, add 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbs, spicy brown mustard, and 1 tbs horseradish. Mix until well blended. Pour on top of finished burgers.

 I topped mine with some fresh spinach, and a twig of fresh rosemary. Neither Jake nor I could finish                                                               one, his was much bigger.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment