Saturday, October 4, 2014

Tequila Lime Chicken

 Tonight was my night to cook, my sister left a bottle of tequila, so I don't want to waste it, but I don't drink very often. The best way to use it, is to cook with it.

 I am just going to copy and paste the recipe I used and tell you what I added, and the different way I cooked it. Other then the chicken I made a box of scalloped potatoes, not my favorite but I didn't want to take the time to make them. I didn't make veggies tonight, because somehow I forgot to buy any, and I am out in the freezer.

 I added 1 small red onion sliced, grated lime and lemon peel into the marinade. I then cooked the chicken in a cast iron skillet, that has the grill thing on the bottom. I seared it well. While it seared, I put the leftover marinade into a small pot, and cooked it over low heat. After the chicken was seared, I poured the marinade over the seared chicken, then placed it into a 425 degree oven. It cooked for 25 minutes. I severed it with lemon and lime wedges. I had a picture of it, but for some reason I pushed delete....Chiari moment

 INGREDIENTS
  • 4 split boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 T fresh minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 cup gold tequila
  • 1 t kosher salt
  • 1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 t ancho chili powder
  • 1 T olive oil
  • INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine the chicken with everything and marinade for a half hour at room temperature. The acids in the lime cook the chicken so you want to avoid over-marinading.
  2. Heat a grill with coals and brush the grill top with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
  3. Grill the chicken over direct heat for 5-6 minutes (for a 1 inch thick breast. Turn the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes- again it will depend on the thickness of the chicken. Cook until nicely browned–it should feel firm and the juices should run clear.
  4. The sugars in the tequila and lime juice will blacken the chicken- so move them to a lower heat if that gets out of control.
  5. Serve hot off the grill with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment