Thursday, March 27, 2014

Asian Pasta Salad

 I got this recipe from a co-worker, and of course I had to change it a little.

 In a small heavy pan, heat 1/2 cup sesame oil (I googled what to sub for this since Jake is allergic to it, I used olive oil instead), 1/4 cup corn oil (I used the canola oil I had) and 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes (if you don't like any heat I would really decrease this amount), Keep an eye on this so the red pepper flakes don't burn. I think I let it go, just about 5 minutes, maybe less, remove from heat add 6-8 Tablespoons honey, and 5 Tablespoons soy sauce. Meanwhile cook, and drain 1 lb of spaghetti noodles (I used the angle hair pasta I had at home). Pour the sauce over the pasta, then toss well, cover it and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or over night. The longer you let it sit the more flavor and heat you will have. I left it for the 4 hours.

 Before serving, add 1 bunch of sliced green onions, 3/4 cups finely diced red bell peppers ( I had a bag of small sweet peppers, red, yellow, and orange, so I used them) and 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I served them on the side because, again Jake is allergic). I said to serve chopped salted peanuts on the side, again Jake is allergic so I didn't even buy them. I did however have a bag of fresh spinach that I wilted down and added it. The reason for the spinach is because Jake is on a spinach kick, so I add it every chance I get. I also took some skinless boneless chicken breast strips seasoned with Chinese 5 spice and seared them in olive oil. I let then cool for about 2 minutes and then sliced them.

 Overall, I liked the flavors in this dish, however I think I would like it more if it were hot instead of cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment