Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mussels, Pasta, and Carrots

  I saw this recipe in the The Michael Symon 5 in 5 cookbook and thought I would try it, I don't really like mussels, so I thought I would get clams instead. I went to the store I that I bought the clams at before, but they didn't have any. I went to Safeway, they had the clams and mussels, the mussels were $2.00 a pound cheaper, so I went with them. I really wish I hadn't! I don't know if they were bad ones but they were stringy, looked like snot, and had a bad fishy smell and taste. On the bright side the sauce was very good.

 I started with the pasta since it took longer. I started the water, then in another pan, I added 2 tbs of olive oil and butter when that was melted I added 3 cloves of chopped garlic, and let it simmer. I then dropped the linguine into the boiling salted water. I then added 1/2 cup white wine to the sauce. After the pasta was done, I added it to the sauce along with fresh chopped basil, oregano, and flat leaf parsley. I also added red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup shredded gouda, and chopped spinach.

 Meanwhile, I had the oven heated to 450 degrees. I placed the mussels, tomatoes, fresh chopped flat leaf parsley, 1 tbs. red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup olive oil, and 2 cups white wine into a lined baking 9x13 inch pan and tightly covered it with foil. It cooked for 5 minutes in the oven.

 Oh, and I made some cooked baby carrots, just water and a little bit of butter, salt to taste.

 We didn't eat the mussels, I ate the tomatoes out of it. I won't be buying mussels any time soon. The whole meal took me less than 20 minutes to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment