Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pizza

 I thought I would be alone tonight for dinner but I brat sat for my nephews, Zach(8 yrs.) and Dakota(13 yrs). So, I had to come up with something fast and easy. Right after Zach walked through the door he asked what we were going to bake, he meant cookies, cake, etc., I said nothing.  But, I started thinking about what I was going to feed them, after searching the net for quick easy dinners I came up with pizza. So this is what we did. I just wanted say that I know a lot of people do not like kids in the kitchen but I don't mind it. They love to help (make a bigger mess) and teaches them how to cook.

 First Zach and I took 3 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 packet of instant dry yeast, and 2 tsp. salt., we put that in a large mixing bowl, then slowly added very warm water (110 degrees) and 2 tbs. olive oil. We mixed that until it formed a ball. Next, I put that onto a lightly floured surface and let Zach knead it. (of course I kneaded it too). We then placed it in a glass bowl that had been greased with olive oil. Then we covered that with plastic wrap and placed in a warm place so it would rise. It doubled with in 1 hour. Zach loved checking to see how it was growing.

 Next, we took the dough and they shaped it how they wanted it, I placed it in a 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  I then let them put on the toppings they wanted to. Zach put salami, cheese, and bacon. Dakota's was salami, bacon, cheese, and fresh basil. I cheated and used a jar sauce. I put it back in the oven for about 5 minutes.

 For my pizza, I took zucchini, yellow squash, onions, green peppers, orange peppers, red peppers, and mushrooms, I cooked them in a skillet with 1 tbs. olive oil, just until they were tender. I placed some of the jar sauce I had spiced up with basil, garlic, and oregano. Of course, I had to add cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan.



No comments:

Post a Comment