Monday, March 3, 2014

Creamed Spinach and Steak Sandwich

 Last night, Jake was suppose to cook the steak he laid out, but he took and easy way out by making a box of red velvet pancakes.

 I had to figure out something to do with the steak so it didn't waste. I saw this recipe on Food Network yesterday and thought I would try it. I have to admit it was a little pricey, only because I had to buy alcohol, which I will probably give the rest to Troy because he is at that stupid drinking age. There are a few steps and I did change one thing, the glaze. It called for oranges and maraschino cherry juice, Jake and I are both allergic to oranges, so I made my own glaze. 

 For the glaze, I took about 4 tbls of balsamic vinegar (that's what was left in the bottle), 3 tbls. of brown sugar, 2 large cloves garlic thinly sliced, 1 tsp. chopped dried rosemary, and 1 cup of bourbon. I put all ingredients into a small sauce pan, brought it to a boil then reduced the heat to medium low, and let it reduce for about 5 minutes.

 For the cream spinach, take 3 tbls. butter (I used olive oil), melted it in a deep skillet, added 1 diced yellow onion, and 3 cloves minced garlic. I let that cook until it was tender, turn off the stove, add 1/4 cup bourbon, stir to combine, turn back on the heat and cook for about a minute. Next, add 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (I used Jake's lactose free milk), cook on low until it is reduced by 1/2 about 5 minutes. I then added 2 cups of shredded gouda cheese (I bought this at Grocery Outlet for $2.00, because I live in a very small town where it's not sold), cook until cheese is melted. Add 2 boxes, thawed drained (squeeze all the water out by putting the frozen thawed spinach into a clean dish towel and squeezing out as much water as you can) spinach, combine well. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes.

 Meanwhile heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, pat dry your steak (it called for a hanger steak, but I used a round steak that had been in the freezer( it was $4.00), salt and pepper both sides, next drizzle with olive oil, place in the hot skillet, let cook about 5 minutes, then turn and do the same to the other side, when the steak is close to being done start spooning on the glaze, then keep turning the steak to let the glaze cook. I glazed and turned the steak about 4 times. Let the steak rest at least 5 minutes. Slice the steak very thinly.

 Here is how you assemble the sandwich. I toasted the rolls, again it called for pretzel rolls but there isn't any in this little town.
                                                         Pile on the cream spinach
                                                            Next goes the steak.
                                          Then the red onion, if you like it, Jake does not like it.
                                       Last place on the top bun, and try to fit this in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment