Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sausage With Peppers and Onions and Quinoa Salad

  My night to cook. I looked in the freezer and saw the kielbasa, so I thought about sausage and peppers, but I didn't want to do the original one that I grew up on. I wanted to do something different. My mom always made it with a brown gravy and white rice, I loved it but didn't want it tonight.

  I started off by putting 1 cup of quinoa and lentils into a pot and added 4 cups of beef stock. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until liquid is gone. About 5 minutes before done I added a few saffron threads, turmeric, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. When it was done I added in 1 shredded carrot, 2 cups shredded spinach, and 1/2 of a red onion finely chopped. I mixed it in and let it set.

  For the sausage I took the kielbasa and seared it in a dry deep skillet, then I moved it to a plate. Next I took 2 tbs olive oil, heated it up, then added 1/2 sliced red onion, 1 small sliced yellow onion, and 4 cloves chopped garlic. I let that cook for 5 minutes, next I added some sliced red and yellow bell peppers (If I was using normal size peppers, I would have added 1 of each.) I let those cook for a couple of minutes. Next, I added 1 cup dry white wine, dried basil, and dried oregano. Then, slice the sausage into desired pieces, place them back into the skillet with the onions and peppers, put a lid on it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until sausage is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment