Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches

  I found a great price on a pork roast yesterday at Food Maxx, I paid $6.50 for a 4/5 pound roast. I knew we could get at least 2 meals out of this one roast.

  I started off by placing the roast in the slow cooker this morning. I seasoned it with smoked paprika, ancho chili pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper, I also added 1 can of beef broth, 4 cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 of chopped yellow onion, and 1 jalapeno chopped, but not seeded. I put it on high for about 5 1/2 hours.

  I also made some coleslaw for it. I started with 1 small bag of coleslaw mix. For the dressing I used 1 cup low fat mayo, 2 tbl. sugar, 2 tbl. apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. dried mustard. It also called for 1/8 tsp. celery seed, I didn't have any so I didn't add it.

  After the roast was done, I took it out and let it rest for about 10 minutes. While that was resting I took a couple ladles of the drippings out of the slow cooker and added them to a medium sauce pan, I also added 1 bottle of honey bbq sauce, and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper. I let that simmer for 5 minutes. Next, I pulled the pork apart, (only the amount I thought we needed for the sandwiches, I took the rest, placed it in a bowl with a lid and put it in the fridge for another day). I added the pulled pork to the sauce and let it simmer long enough until the bread was toasted, in the oven. A little thing I do for my sandwiches when I use large rolls, I pull out most of the bread in both sides. Not only does this make a great well for all the good stuff, but it takes away calories and carbs.

  The following pictures will show how I assembled it. Jake had all the bread plus he added shredded sharp cheddar cheese to his and none of the coleslaw. I don't usually like pork, but this was really good.






No comments:

Post a Comment