Friday, June 21, 2013

Shredded Chicken, Rice, Cheese Enchiladas

I was of course watching a food show (The Chew) and someone made enchiladas. That sounded great since we haven't had them in a long time I had my idea for dinner. I am not like most people and plan ahead for dinner. I decide when I wake up in the morning what might sound good for that day. I am also one of those people that buy the basics and then have to run to the store to get whatever else I need every day or just about. But today I actually had everything I needed(I surprised myself)

I started by boiling some boneless skinless chicken thighs in water seasoned with cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and garlic pepper. I cooked it until it was falling apart. Then let cool, then shredded it, set aside.

I then started the spanish rice, from Rice A Roni of course(I don't know why but lately I have been using boxed stuff which usually don't), but instead of the water I used 2 1/2 cups of the water/broth that the chicken cooked in.

I opened a large can of green enchilada sauce and poured it in a shallow baking dish/bowl, 1 can sliced olives, and 1 package pre shredded mexican 4 cheese, and some shredded rice cheeses. I had an assembly line set up.

First I dipped a medium size flour tortilla in the green sauce, then put in some shredded chicken, about 1 tbls rice, and some cheese, rolled it up and placed it in the baking dish. Keep repaeating this until you make the amount you need. I did put rice cheese in some them for Jake, then for Zach and Dakota I skipped the sauce and just put chicken in cheese in them. I then topped all of them with red enchilada sauce, cheese, and olives.
Placed them in a 400 degree oven until the cheese is melty and they are heated through about 15 to 20 minutes. Of course that rice cheese just never seems to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment