Monday, June 3, 2013

Steak, Baked Potatoes, and Brussel Sprouts

I went to Safeway to get a few things and thought I would see if there were any steaks on sale for this weekend. I found some yummy looking rib-eyes for the adults and some cheaper sirloins for the kiddos. When I got home to put them in the freezer I had forgotten how much things I had bought for the freezer this past weekend so I called my sister and asked if she wanted to have a good dinner tonight. I am glad we are all flexible.

Before going to her house I made some sherry butter (I totally love this) You take 2 heads of garlic (yes that's heads not cloves) cut the tops off so you can see all the cloves, place them in foil, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper, wrap them up, and place them in a 450 degree oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until garlic is soft and roasted. After it't cooled, squeeze the garlic into a blender or food processor along with 2 chopped cloves of garlic, 2 tbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley, 1 tbs fresh chopped thyme, 1/3 cup dry sherry, and 1/2 stick of butter(I think I used more to make it thicker) pulse to make it into a paste. I then refrigerate until ready to use.

I also made a porcini sauce. Start with 1 cup of beef stock and a handful of dried procini mushrooms( I can't find theses at any of our stores so I sub fresh chopped baby portebella mushrooms for them). Place them in a sauce pan and simmer until mushrooms are tender and liquid has reduced about 15 to 20 minutes. Then puree them. Meanwhile in a sauce pan drizzle some EVOO in the pan, add 1 finely chopped shallot, and 2 cloves finely chopped garlic, cook til tender. Then add 2 tbs balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce,  2 tbs dark brown sugar, 2 tsp coarse black pepper, and 1 cup of ketchup. Next add the porcini puree, Simmer this until desired thickness.

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. For dinner I stuck the potatoes in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Next steamed some frozen brussel sprouts. Then for the good stuff, I heated 2 cast iron skillets (mine has the grill marks at the bottom, so it looks as if you grilled them). Pat dry the steaks, liberally salt and pepper them, then drizzle with EVOO. Place is a screaming hot skillet for about 5 minutes per side or when meat releases from the pan. After both sides are seared place the pan in the oven to finish steaks, for medium rare cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting so the juice will redistribute. Serve with the sherry butter and porcini sauce. Jake made a loaf of garlic bread.

It was so good that one the kids didn't fight over dinner and I forgot to take a pic. This is by far Jake and my favorite dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment