Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chicken and Rice

I thought I'd do a little experiment tonight. Prep was chopping carrots, scallions, and spinach. I started with some Jasmine rice, pour 2 cups of water, into a pot, add the rice, 2 chopped scallions, and 1 tbls butter/margarine, bring it to a boil, turn down to low, cover, and simmer for about 18 minutes. When the rice is done fold in the chopped spinach.

Meanwhile heat 2 tbls oil (I used canola) in a large skillet, sprinkle chinese 5 spice on boneless skinless chicken thighs, place in a hot skillet, let it sear for about 5 minutes per side, remove from pan, in the skillet add 1 more tbls oil, add the carrots and scallions, cook until tender, then add 2 tbls flour and stir, cook for 1 minute, whisk in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 2 tbls worchestire sauce, 2 tbls soy sauce, 1 tbl balsamic vinegar, a about 1 tbl sriracha(omit if you don't like spicy). Cook until it starts to boil reduce heat and add chicken back into pan, cook for about 3 minutes.

There you go, Jake said it was good. Oh speaking of Jake, who else has noticed that this cooking with Jake thing has turned into just me? I understand this week he had the baby project, and last night he spent the whole night walking for Relay for Life. He walked a total of 13 miles! I am sure I will get him cooking again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment