Saturday, April 20, 2013

Meat and Potato Casserole

It's been a hard month in our house with having to get the car fixed so I have had to get a little creative with what we have. Tonight we had to see what we could do with ground beef and potatoes.

I cooked the potatoes by boiling them whole. Then I let them cool, peeled and sliced them. Meanwhile I cooked 1 1/2 pounds ground beef with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and ancho chili powder. I then sliced and cubed some of the daikon and 4 cloves of garlic. I heated a large skillet with 2 tbls olive oil. Cook the daikon and garlic until tender, then deglaze the the pan with about 1 cup red wine, let it cook off about a minute, I then added about 1 1/2 cups of the broth from the chicken soup with the carrots, add 2 tbls tomato paste, dried time and chives (salt and pepper to taste). Cook to reduce by 1/2. I left to take Troy to work so Jake finished it off. He added the meat back in the pan. He then layered the potatoes into the casserole dish and poured the meat and sauce over it and put it in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment